Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sucsessful Day

As a Mother how would you define a successful day? A friend/Cousin-in-law wrote a blog about her day and asked others to do the same, so that we might get some ideas/tips from each other.

One of my main goals is to not loose my temper. I get frustrated and yell. One of my ambitions is to not punish out of anger or lack of restrain, but to try and be patient and discipline calmly.

I try to have some what of a schedule. Specific snack times, lunch and dinner, and nap/quite time, and bed time. I've wanted to get the day more scheduled with craft time, play time, TV time; but I have a hard time with that because I go more with my emotions and what I feel like doing.

I definitely have days where I feel like I have failed. More often than not. Days where I don't feel like I gave my children enough attention, like playing with them, or where I have just yelled all day. I have a hard time with the whining and pushing. I understand why my Dad always said "If you push, you get denied!" I also despise the fighting. Some days I feel that I'm nothing more that a referee.I try not to get to depressed though, because I know that won't help anything. I just pray that God will help me do better the next day.

So I encourage you to blog about it as well and put a link in the my comments for others to get inspired.

Here is the blog of my cousins who started this! Thanks Faith, great idea!
http://darlingfamily.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Faith said...

Thank you so much for sharing about your day! It's so encouraging to hear how other mothers do it -- and occasionally loose it too!

I struggle with the "not yelling" thing too. ~sigh~ Comes with the territory, I suppose, but you're right, trying to react reasonably to the specific situation rather than emotionally is a great goal to have.

Mom2Zoey said...

Hi! Friend of Faith's here. I think we all have bad days with yelling too. One trick I have started doing when they get me really frustrated is to ask them how old they are. When I'm about to loose it I say "How old are you?" and Zoey responds "I'm four" and my youngest holds up one finger. It just helps me put everything in prospective. How can I be mad at a four year old? HTH~A

anna douglas said...

Hey Rebekah,

I hope you don't mind my jumping in. You have so many young ones right now. I remember when mine were all young. It's very hard not to get frustrated and yell. They are so unreasonable when they're only 1, 2 and 3 years old, and somewhat when they're 4. They try things they're too little to do and they make messes. They're curious and make messes. They want what their brother has and make lots of noise and strife. It gets a lot easier when the oldest gets old enough to help with keeping the younger ones busy and dealing with some of the problems that arise. Then it's not all on you. Just keep pressing into God for patience and wisdom in how to deal with all the immature, silly things that kids do every day. It's great that your husband recognizes your need to get out without all the boys from time to time. I always tried to be superwoman and didn't really take care of my own needs. That was a mistake.

I just realized that I was supposed to share my day. My days are mostly trying to keep enough dishes clean to eat off of and enough laundry to clothe everyone. Not really. We make sure we pray together every day, the kids and I. I read from a story to the oldest 6 almost every day. We have a chore chart that each of them has 2 or 3 chores to do every day. Shawn helps me supervise them in getting chores done. The older kids do math and copywork on their own. The younger need my help sometimes with math or copywork. We've been doing lapbooks, so sometimes we work on those. The twins have even done a couple. That keeps them busy and out of trouble. Emma is always into something, so we try to come up with constructive things for her to do, with varying degrees of success. She makes an average of 7 messes a day. And of course, I nurse Abby every 3 hours or so. Sometimes, I can read to the older kids while nursing her.

Hey, I've read your blog. Wow! You are homeschooling! And doing a great job of it! I'm impressed.

Love,
Penney