At
Walmart the other day I found a king size bed sheet for $1. I could not pass it up, I knew I could find something to make with it! So, I decided I wanted to make matching shirred dresses for Emma Grace and I (I know corny). I started with Emma Grace's because it is a lot less material to work with. I got it all measured out, cut, and seamed; then I went to shirr it and I could not get my machine to do it right. Thankfully, I tried it on a scrap
piece, but with no success. I tried for at least an hour just trying to get my machine to do it right. I really dislike
achieving a goal, so I decided to deviate from my original plan. Since it was already cut and hemmed, there wasn't many options. I had some elastic, so I redid the top hem and put that in, put some trim on it and made it halter style with a button. It actually turned out pretty cute! The problem now, is to try and make a similar dress for my self. I don't think the exact shape would be quite as flattering on me. I don't want to look like a tent :p





7 comments:
Bek, soooo cute! I love it!
Beka that dress is super cute. At the Strawberry Festival My mom and I saw a bunch or these type dresses being sold there for $17 each! I seriously want to get good at them and utilize my husband's web space.:0)
This is a super cute dress! Can't wait to see how yours turns out!
Adorable! OK, it took me a long time to figure it out too, but here's what you do: adjust your BOBBIN tension tighter, and your UPPER THREAD tension looser, and set your stitch length to the longest "basting" length.
If you have a drop in bobbin case, you can remove that fairly simply to adjust it. Otherwise if you have a machine like mine, you'll have to remove the throat plate (under the presser foot), and then get the bobbin case out from there (not just the bobbin itself, but the *case*) There should be a super tiny screw on the case, and you turn it clockwise to tighten, counterclockwise to loosen. Adjust it and test your stitches on scrap fabric until it shirs. Let me know if you still have trouble! I hate failing at things too!
That is the conclusion I came too. But have no idea how to change the tension on the bobbin, and it didn't have it in the booklet the machine came with. I do have a drop in bobbin, but I couldn't see anything to adjust and am afraid to fool around with it too much since I don't really know what I'm doing. I think I may have to remove the throat plate as well, but too scared to do it!
I'll do a step-by-step tutorial in the near future. :) Nothing to be afraid of!
Rebekah, I was just going through your blog and I'm very proud of you and your sewing. You are doing great! Anytime you don't know how to do something give me a call and I'll help you.
Love, Grandma Linda
Post a Comment